gzhan stong snying po
Essence of Other-Emptiness
A fairly brief work by Tāranātha on the basic tenets of the four systems of Buddhist philosophy, namely the Vaibhāṣika, Sautrāntrika, Cittamātra
, and Madhyamaka
. His exposition culminates with a presentation of the Great Madhyamaka
, the pinnacle of the four, which is synonymous with other-emptiness
as represented by the Jonang
Read the text:
Translations of This Text
Recensions of This Text
Gzhan stong snying po. (Essence of Other-Emptiness). Recension information:
||TA ra nA tha. གཞན་སྟོང་སྙིང་པོ།, (Gzhan stong snying po).
- In Gsung 'bum/ tA ra nA tha (Rtag brtan phun tshongs gling gi par ma), Vol. 4: 491-514. Leh: C. Namgyal and Tsewang Taru, 1982-1987.
- In Gsung 'bum/ tA ra nA tha ('Dzam thang par ma), Vol. 18: 171-193. 'Dzam thang; Dzam thang dgon, 199-.
- In Rdzogs ldan chos mchog dbu ma gzhan stong gi chos skor. Shang kang: Shang kang then mA dpe skrun khang, 2005: 214-239.
- In Gsung 'bum/ tA ra nA tha (Dpe bsdur ma), Vol. 36: 162-182. Pe cin: Krung go'i bod rig pa dpe skrun khang, 2008.
- In Rnam grol 'dod 'jo ris med dpe rnying khang gi tshad ldan nges don dpe tshogs, Vol. 4: 229-254. Zi ling: Rnam grol 'dod 'jo dpe rnying khang, 2007-2009.
Philosophical positions of this text
Is buddha-nature considered definitive or provisional?
Does this text belong to definitive or provisional meaning?
Do all beings have buddha-nature?
To which "turning of the wheel" do the buddha-nature teachings belong?
Although this text covers other topics, its ultimate topic is of the third turning.
Is buddha-nature equated with emptiness or alayavijnana?
Do buddha-nature teachings belong to the zhentong or rangtong view of emptiness?
Are there one or three vehicles on the path to buddhahood?
Do the author's writings belong to the analytic or meditative tradition of Uttaratantra exegesis?
What is Buddha-nature?
Tathāgatagarbha as the Emptiness That is an Implicative Negation (with enlightened qualities
||~ gzhan stong dbu ma'i snying po
This Text on Adarsha - If it doesn't load here, refresh your browser.